I suggest you ...

Provide more accurate climate descriptions.

In your climate description for Franklin North Carolina you state that Franklin has a Marine West Coast climate, does not have many thunderstorms and lacks extreme temperature changes. Being that I live just outside of that town, I can attest to the fact that Franklin does not have a Marine west coast climate, but rather a Humid subtropical climate that is moderated somewhat by its elevation of just over 2000 feet. To be fair, it is true that the higher elevations just a few miles from Franklin do have a climate very similar to that of the Pacific NW, but the town of Franklin has a climate more similar to that of the lower elevations of the SE US, than any given town in the Pacific NW. Also, while locales with true Marine west coast climates seldom have thunderstorms, Franklin and the surrounding higher elevations experience thunderstorms quite frequently and in fact Franklin has anywhere from 40 to 60 thunderstorm days per year on average ! It is not uncommon for Franklin to experience thunderstorms on a daily basis during the summer months. While I have conceded that the mountains surrounding Franklin have a climate more similar to that of the North West Pacific coast than that of the SE US, I should point out that the temperature fluctuations, in the Southern Appalachians during the spring and fall particularly, tend to be greater than that of the Northwest Pacific Coast, rainfall patterns are very different, thunderstorms are common in the Southern Appalachians, ''but not in the Pacific Northwest'' and summer dew point temperatures tend to be significantly higher in the S.Appalachians than in the Pacific NW.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JamesJames shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bill FrischlingAdminBill Frischling (Co-Founder, Weatherbase) commented  · 

Hi James...

Thanks for the post. Right now, when we use climate classifications, we're checking coordinates against a map that maps the KCC. However, that method we've found is accurate, but not as good as it should be. We're refining the targeting of these classifications in February. Thanks for the tip!

• JamesJames commented  · 

Inaccurate information on the net seems to be the rule of the day. This does not bode well for the future of self governing societies. I suppose of course that this may not be an accident.

Feedback and Knowledge Base